Top reasons why you should make this as soon as possible:
1. Mom’s lasagna is amazing. No bias here. You can ask Mr. Ginge
2. It is the most requested birthday meal in our family. Mom had to implement a rule that people couldn’t ask for the same thing because everyone was requesting lasagna.
3. Because leftovers ( if there are any) are way better the next day.
4. It has magical properties. It turned my pasta-hating father into a lasagna-eating fool.30 years ago. True story.
5. It is the perfect vehicle for cheese. And it’s even better with cheesy garlic bread.
6.It freezes incredibly well, so you can have surprise / spur of the moment lasagna-that-is-already-next-day-better, without having any of the work. (just don’t tell anyone it’s in the freezer….shhhhh…..)
7. Because it is the ultimate comfort food. Nuff said.
makes 1 9×13 pan (about 12 servings)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef ( or any lean ground meat. We’ve used turkey, chicken, moose, venison. Basically, any ground meat you have on hand)
- 1 can ( around 2 cups) tomato sauce
- 1 box lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 lb / 500gr shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, stirring for a few minutes until fragrant and the onions are translucent. Add the ground beef, stirring to break up and continue cooking until no longer pink. Add the tomato sauce, bring to a simmer to heat.
- In an ungreased 9×13 pan ( we almost always use glass), lay some cooked noodles length wise in the bottom of the pan. Spread some of the sauce over the noodles, then spread some cottage cheese over top. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. For the next layer, lay the noodles width-wise, top with sauce, cottage cheese and shredded cheese. Repeat with remaining layers. ( I usually get about 5)
- For the top layer, top noodles with sauce cottage cheese, then sprinkle with mozzarella. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake uncovered in an oven preheated to 350°F for 1 hour, broiling for the last 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
Make this. Make this now.
Click the links for more great recipes!