Seriously, time flies.
Honestly, it just seems like a moment ago it was the beginning of May.
And now guess what?
There is six months left till the 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who!!! Yay!!
Although, after what happened last episode, I’m not ready to talk about it. I’ll talk about food instead.
One of the most memorable “food moments” for me was in the episode ” Fear Her”. Right as Ten and Rose are walking into the neighbourhood, he starts babbling about a tea party and his preference for these little teacakes with the “crunchy ball bearings”, and then at the very end, after they save the day, she hands him a little tea cake just like he described.
In the context of the show, it has absolutely nothing of importance to it, but like all food it stuck with me. Especially since it was sweets.
Little Cakes with the Crunchy Ball Bearings
Makes 8 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp mandarin juice
- zest from one mandarin
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp mandarin juice
- silver dragées
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line your cupcake pan with 8 liners.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg until smooth and combined. Add the zest and the mandarin juice.
- Sift together the flour and the baking powder. Add it to the egg mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk.
- Split the batter between the eight liners. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, mix together the powdered sugar and the 1 tbsp of mandarin juice. Once the cupcakes are cooled, spread the glaze over top then sprinkle with the dragées, then let the icing set.
” I can’t stress this enough: Ball bearings you can eat. Masterpiece!”