2012 has been a rough year for me.
While I will not deny there has been some amazing moments in the past year ( especially when it comes to my blog. I have seen some amazing growth in the past year and for that I am eternally grateful!), and I am more than grateful for the life that I do lead, 2012 has had some hardships that have been tough to overcome. The year started with the loss of a job I loved and facing the difficulties of unemployment for the first time, the loss of my grandmother and the utter devastation it caused my dad, the frustration of not being able to find a job, the bittersweet loss of a good friend who moved out of province, struggled with certain aspects of my health, and dealt with what seems like an ongoing war with some people in my life.
I’ve never been an overly open person, and this little corner of the web has always been my happy place, however there have been points throughout the year where I have struggled to maintain an interest or a happy demeanour, and have even gone months without baking, something that has always helped me relax and unwind. Fortunately, I am surrounded by amazing people who love and support me, and give me ambition and inspiration when I have none.
These are my last parting words to 2012: I am glad we are through.
So, here’s to the new year, and an end to the depressing stuff. To new beginnings and a year focused on making it the most I can. A year I can enjoy the company of those who mean the most to me and who have always supported me ( and my blog ) through thick and thin. A year where I can focus on my health and happiness. A year of continued growth and learning and of moving forward. And, most importantly, a year full of cookies and cupcakes (my favourites!).
And to bring in the new year, I give you pancakes!
Well, Mr Ginge brings you pancakes, since this was the result of a craving for pancakes and him searching through the odds and ends in the refrigerator. Pair them up with some bacon and a tall lass of OJ and you are good to go.
Caramel Apple Pancakes
serves 4, adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce ( we used what we had in the fridge, but you could always use homemade)
- 3 tsbp melted butter
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Make a large well in the centre and set aside.
- In a measuring cup or bowl, combine together the milk, egg, caramel sauce, and butter. Pour into the well and mix until smooth. Let the batter stand about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up your pan with a bit of butter over medium-high heat. Pour about a 1/4 cup of batter into the pan for each pancake. Top the pancake with a few slices of apple. Revel in the heavenly smell that is wafting from your kitchen.
- When the edges have bubble and are lightly brown around the edges give them a flip and then continue to cook on the other side.
- Flip them onto a plate and serve with maple syrup, additional caramel sauce, or a bit of icing sugar.
If you ask me, this is an excellent way to ring in the new year!
– Happy New Year-
Mel, Mr.Ginge and the kitties.