I have a bit of an odd situation.
Since I imagine some of you might be food people, I’m hoping to pick your brain. In return for said brain picking, I’ll offer you a family favourite, something that has morphed from a type-writered page of dog eared community cookbook.
This summer, to keep me busy, Mr. Ginge planted me a garden. Just a little row along the side of the house where I could grow some herbs and a few veggies.
I am a complete gardening newb. Kinda just winging it and hoping to get a successful harvest. I may have, however, underestimated my tomato plant. It’s flipping ginormous, and is covered with little green tomatoes, which are just starting to colour and ripen on the mass of vines. Now that is all fine and dandy, except my little cherry tomatoes are literally exploding. I’ll go to pick on of the vine, only to find it split from top to bottom on the side. I’ll pick another, slightly under-ripe globe, only to look down a moment later to find it burst and juices leaking over my hand.
My tomatoes literally can’t contain themselves. They are the Cadbury cream egg goo of the tomato world.
Is this normal? Is this just an effect of my monstrously huge tomato plant? Or are my tomatoes just too beautiful to live?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Ooey Gooey Bars (a.ka. Seven layer bars *)
makes 1 8×8 pan
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup graham crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan
- 1pkg chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In the 8×8 pan, mix together the graham crumbs and the butter. When all the crumbs are coated, press them firmly into the bottom of the pan with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the base, followed by the chocolate chips then the coconut . Pour over the can of sweetened condensed milk, trying to evenly cover the toppings.
- Bake in the preheat oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the milk is bubbly and golden brown.
- Let set for at least a half an hour, then slice into squares. Understand why they are ooey gooey.