I have a confession to make.
I bought a Christmas decoration last weekend. Actually, that’s not entirely true. I’ve already bought three, but the first two don’t count. I buy them early every year.
Point is, it is barely October, hardly past Thanksgiving, and I have succumbed and bought something related to Christmas. It’s scary I know.
This also means that I should also have my Christmas baking list ready to go, and it’s so totally not. I have no idea what I want to make or what I am going to make. Now normally this is not a big deal, except that I bake soooo much that I am actually starting to panic.
Yes. I have issues.
So, instead of focusing on the nest big holiday that is far away, I baked something festive for Halloween.
That ended up tasting like those whack and unwrap oranges you get a Christmas time. Go figure.
Marbled Chocolate and Orange Pound Cake
makes one 9×3 cake
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp orange extract
- orange food colouring ( optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×3 loaf pan and line with parchment paper so that it hangs over the sides.
- In a bowl, combine the milk and eggs, beating together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer ( or in a large bowl) combine the flour, baking powder and sugar. Give it a whir to combine, then slowly beat in the butter. When it is combined, pour in about half of the egg mixture. When it is combined, scrape the batter from the sides and bottom of the bowl. Slowly pour in the remaining egg mixture and beat until smooth.
- Divide the batter into two bowls. In one half of the batter, mix in the cocoa powder. In the other half, stir in the orange extract and the food colouring, if using.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into the prepared pan, alternating chocolate with orange batter. Swirl the batter together gently with a knife.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then lift out of the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack
I linked this recipe to Strut Your Stuff Saturdays as well as these other great blogs: