In case you hadn’t noticed, it’s one week till Christmas and:
1) How on earth did we get here? I mean last time I checked we had just passed Thanksgiving. In Canada.
2) I have almost all my shopping, almost all my baking, almost all my cooking and almost all my wrapping done. Almost.
3) I never think I ever have enough holiday cookies made. Until I pull them all out. And then am utterly shocked at the sheer number that I end up with
4) Kids and the holidays are the absolute best.
5) Sometime the adults like Christmas toys as much as the kids.
6) I may have to spend the rest of my life on the treadmill.
7) These cookies are tasty.
I stumbles across this recipe from Bits of Sunshine, and fell in love with it right away ( by the way cutest blog EVER!) Not only are they super simple to make, but they offer a unique twist on a classic cookie. I highly recommend them if you are looking for a last minute holiday cookie!
makes 3-4 dozen. Adapted from Bits of Sunshine
- 1 c butter, softened
- 1 c icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c custard powder ( like Bird’s )
- 2 c flour
- 6 Tbsp cream or milk
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar ( for some sparkle😉 )
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Cream together the butter and the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- In a large bowl, sift together the custard powder and the flour.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture, alternating with cream.
- Roll dough in to 1 in balls, then roll into sugar. Press lightly with a fork on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool for a couple minutes on the sheet then cool completely on a wire rack.
I love me a sparkly cookie.🙂