Sundays, Mr, Ginge and I do breakfast. Occasionally, we go out, but more often one of us gets up, brews some coffee and fixes breakfast.
Usually we stick to classics, like bacon and eggs or pancakes.
This week started as french toast. He was feeling like a “special-coffee” with his breakfast, and busted out the Amarula.
In a late-morning stroke of genius, some of the liqueur found its way in to our breakfast. And my goodness, what a thought it was.
I was quite literally drooling as it cooked.
If you are having guests over for the holidays, this would make a great addition to your brunch spread.
Amarula French Toast.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 c. Amarula or other cream liqueur ( we think Baileys would be pretty good as well)
- 2 – 3 Tbsp milk or cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 8 slices of bread
- butter for pan.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt a teaspoon or so of butter to lightly grease.
- In a shallow bowl or dish, mix the eggs, Amarula, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Dip a couple slices of bread in the eggs, coating each side.
- Cook in the skillet, a couple minutes on each side, or until golden brown, adding butter between slices if needed.
- Serve immediately with a light dusting of icing sugar and some syrup. ( Mr. Ginge recommends a nice Canadian amber maple syrup)