Mmmm…. doesn’t this look tasty?
An ooey- gooey jalapeno popper grilled cheese sammy.
Isn’t this a baking blog?
Technically yes, but this was too good not to share. And I made up for it by baking my own bread. 🙂
I came up with this recipe when I stumbled across a similar recipe on Food Gawker. Be forwarned. Food Gawker is horribly addictive. I couldn’t tell you how many pages I have flagged, because the contents have nearly made me drool all over my desk.
We love jalapeno poppers around this house. This recipe was one I could not stop thinking about. So I made it for lunch for me and Mr. Ginge on the weekend. And then again one night for an easy supper.
It’s that good.
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices country bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 jalapenos finely, seeded & finely chopped ( use less if you don’t want too much heat)
- 2oz cream cheese softened ( about 1/4 of a brick)
- 1/3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat up your pan or grill
- Butter up one side of each of the slices of bread.
- Chop up your jalapenos. A really easy way to chop them up is to make four slices down the sides of the pepper. You should end up with four flat slivers that are really easy to chop up and leaves all the seeds behind!
- Mix your peppers in with the cream cheese and spread on half of the slices, on the unbuttered side.
- Top with some of the cheddar.
- And your other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill until nice and golden brown on each side
- Slice in half and enjoy!
Mmmm…. The best of a popper and a grilled cheese all in one!
P.S.- if you have any of the cream cheese mix left over, it makes a really good snack spread on crackers!
…then maybe you still need something simple and Easter-y for your get together. Or maybe just for a quick cake craving. I will not lie. Yesterday, I spent the morning making dessert for dinner with my family. Also probably the reason why I am posting an Easter treat the day before Easter.
For my tardiness I bring you a treat that is easy to whip up if you are short on time, or is easy to fancy up if you have a bit more; mini cupcakes! Yay!
Nearly everyone loves cupcakes, especially ones filled with chocolate chips, and making them mini amps up the cute factor, as well as speediness. These puppies bake up ( an cool!) likety-split. Top them off with your favorite icing, and you are good as gold.
Chocolate Chip Mini-Cupcakes
-makes about 48 mini cupcakes
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 c mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line your mini muffin pans with liners.
- Sift together your dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream your butter and sugar together, until nice and fluffy.
- Add your eggs in, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture, just until combined.
- Gradually add the milk and mix until you get a smooth batter.
- Fold in your chocolate chips.
- Fill up the cups 2/3 – 3/4 full, and pop them in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let them cool and top them off with your favorite icing!
I had fun making these into cute little chickies and nests, however, if you don’t have the time to invest, they look aand taste just as good with a quick swirl of icing on top!
So here goes…
Welcome to my world. 😀
Spring is just beginning to bloom here in small town Ontario. The ice has nearly melted off the lakes and swamps, and I wake up to robins song in the morning. There is even pair of osprey in the nest by the provincial park I pass on my way to work!
Spring also means that is nearly gardening season, and the Farmer’s Market in town will open soon! Yay!
Since everything is fresh and new in spring, what better time to start and share with you some of my favorite things: baking, canning, and all things kitchen related.
I hope that my posts inspire and make you as happy as they do me!